Public Health Campaigns / Mental Health Campaigns
Public Health Campaigns in the UK
Here are a few suggestions of government campaigns to review. These are current at time of writing (April 2012). A Google search will find older ones (including some of the campaign material).
It might also be worth looking for examples campaigns specifically aimed at young people on Facebook / Twitter and for campaigns from other countries too (Australia has a particularly good record on both public health, for example their 'Slip, Slap, Slop' Sun Safety campaign) and mental health)
The students will probably be able to come up with more suggestions of campaigns they've seen.
- Change 4 Life www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/change-for-life.aspx
- THINK! Government road safety campaign http://think.direct.gov.uk/#
- STOP Smoking http://smokefree.nhs.uk/
- Stroke: Act F.A.S.T http://campaigns.dh.gov.uk/category/act-fast/
- Hands-Only CPR (BHF campaign with Vinny Jones) http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/life-saving-skills/hands-only-cpr.aspx (for more information about teaching Emergency Life Saving Skills to young people see our Heartstart website)
Specific Mental Health Campaigns
Here are some current Mental Health / Anti-Stigma Campaigns for students to consider as part of their research:
See Me Scotland www.seemescotland.org.uk/home Five Scottish mental health organisations have formed an alliance called See Me, which is Scotland's national campaign to end the stigma and discrimination of mental ill-health. Excellent campaign.
What's On Your Mind? A new young people's campaign from See Me. http://www.seemescotland.org/whatsonyourmind/teachers Brilliant new campaign from See Me Scotland aimed 13 - 15 year olds. Excellent activity ideas and information based on a powerful film about the importance of being a friend to someone with a mental health problem.
Time to Change http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/ National anti-stigma campaign run by the leading mental health charities Mind and Rethink. Superb.
Stamp Out Stigma http://www.stampoutstigma.co.uk/ This local but ambitious campaign in the NW England aims to change the way we see, think and talk about mental health by addressing people's fears, breaking down walls and stamping out the stigma. Excellent website and campaign ideas.